Coup leader Abdel Fattah al-Burhan said the army will withdraw from ongoing political talks. He also promised that he would dissolve the sovereign council. But Burhan did not specify any dates or who would replace the military at the negotiating table.
KHARTOUM JULY 5: Sudan’s coup leader Abdel Fattah al-Burhan has said the army will make way for a civilian government, will withdraw from ongoing political talks and allow political and revolutionary groups to form a transitional government.
In televised statements aired on Sudan’s state television, Abdel-Fattah Burhan also promised that he would dissolve the sovereign council that he leads after a new transitional government is formed. The council has governed the country since the military took power in a coup last year.
Burhan did not specify any dates or who would replace the military at the negotiating table. After the ruling council is dissolved, he said, the army and the Rapid Support Forces will be placed under a new governing body responsible for the country’s defense and security.
The coup leaders statements on Monday follow after a deadly week for Sudan’s pro-democracy movement as large-scale protests demanding an end to military rule have continued in the Khartoum area since Thursday.
Nine people have been killed and at least 629 injured by a security forces crackdown on the demonstrations, according to the Sudan’s Doctors Committee, which has tracked protest casualties.
113 people have been murdered, including 18 children, during the illegal regime. Nothing was revealed if anyone will be held accountable. Or is it just that al-Burhan is going to take the money and disappear abroad? Will the ICC get involved in al-Burhan?
What al-Burhan says and what al-Burhan does are two completely separate things. I’ve said it before: would you buy a used car from al-Burhan? I would not. He would probably lie about the condition of the car. He is not trustworthy.