Adama Dieng says the excessive use of force by Sudan’s joint coup forces against anti-coup protesters is “simply unacceptable”. A man was shot dead during yesterday’s gatherings in memory of the Khartoum Massacre. Dieng called on authorities “to expedite” investigations into the killings.
KHARTOUM June 4: Adama Dieng says the excessive use of force by Sudan’s joint security forces against anti-coup protesters is “simply unacceptable”, one day after a man was shot dead during a pro-democracy demonstration demanding justice for those killed in a bloody crackdown three years ago.
“It is simply unacceptable that 99 people have been killed and more than 5,000 injured as a result of excessive use of force by the joint security forces,” Adama Dieng stated.
Dieng called on authorities “to expedite” investigations into the killings of protesters.
On what is his second visit to Sudan since last year’s coup, Adama Dieng raised serious concerns during talks with senior coup officials over arbitrary and mass arrests of activists, sexual and gender-based violence, and “acts of torture and ill-treatment” during detentions.
The Central Sudan Medical Committee said in a statement: “Martyr’s rise in the million June 3. The soul of a twenty-seven old martyr has risen. He was injured in the chest by live bullets fired heavily by the Coup forces while suppressing Station 7 processions”.
“With this, the total number of martyrs of our people who have been counted by the Committee since the 25th October coup to (99) martyrs”, said the doctors.