Sudanese head of judiciary and judges condemned violence against Democracy Movement in a public statement on Thursday. More than 100 prosecutors announced they would stop work from Thursday to call for coup forces to cease violations and lift a state of emergency.
A statement from 55 Sudanese judges to the judiciary chief said military leaders had “violated [international] agreements and covenants since the October 25 coup, as they have carried out the most heinous violations against defenceless protesters.”
They called for an end to the violence and a criminal investigation.
In response, the head of the judiciary said in a statement in his name and that of the country’s judges that the country’s sovereign council must do the utmost to prevent “blatant violations”.
“We in the judiciary affirm that we will not hesitate to take the measures we have at hand to protect the lives and constitutional rights of citizens,” the statement said.
In another statement, more than 100 prosecutors announced they would stop work from Thursday to call for coup forces to cease violations and lift a state of emergency. Prosecutors had been unable to carry out their legal duty to accompany police to protests and determine the acceptable use of force. They strongly stated their opposition to a recent emergency order that offered immunity and wider powers to coup forces.
It is very unusual for Sudans legal supremacy to make public statements about the conduct of the country’s leadership
Asked for comment, Acting Information Ministry Nasreldin Ahmed noted that military leader Abdel Fattah al-Burhan had ordered an investigation into protester deaths on Monday. With knowledge of al-Burhan’s previous commitments, one can guess what this will lead to.
Image: Ola A .Alsheikh