The President of Refugees International has made a statement regarding the UAE’s arms deliveries to Rapid Support Forces. Refugees International is shocked by the report that the government of the United Arab Emirates is systematically sending arms to the Rapid Support Forces militia in Darfur, which is currently engaged in ongoing ethnic cleansing.
WASHINGTON OCTOBER 4: The President of Refugees International has made a statement regarding the UAE’s arms deliveries to the terrorist organization Rapid Support Forces. Refugees International is an independent humanitarian organization that advocates for better support for displaced people.
In the statement from President Jeremy Konyndyk, the following can be read:
– “Refugees International is shocked by today’s New York Times report that the government of the United Arab Emirates (UAE) is systematically sending arms to the Rapid Support Forces (RSF) militia in Darfur, which is currently engaged in ongoing ethnic cleansing operations in that region.”
– “The UAE has allied itself with the perpetrators of the 2003 Darfur genocide and is now actively arming them–in violation of a binding United Nations (UN) arms embargo–as they carry out mass atrocities in the region again.”
– “The UN Security Council imposed a Chapter-VII arms embargo on Darfur in 2004 in response to the genocide in that era, and extended it again last March. Shipment of arms to the RSF in Darfur constitutes a clear violation of that binding embargo.”
– “The UAE is furthermore conducting these RSF resupply flights under the guise of operating humanitarian activities in Eastern Chad with partners including the Emirati Red Crescent. This is a reprehensible and dangerous misuse of humanitarian activities.”
– “Supporting military activities under supposed humanitarian auspices gravely endangers legitimate humanitarian personnel.”
This situation requires immediate and impartial investigation.
Image: Palácio do Planalto