Sources Say Perthes Won’t Be Allowed Back

0
10

Sources in the foreign ministry said the United Nations envoy to Sudan, Volker Perthes, will not be allowed back. Burhan had written to Guterres requested that Perthes be removed from his post. Perthes has voiced strong concern over the conflict. Volker Perthes said that the responsibility for the fighting rests with Abdel Fattah al-Burhan and Mohamed Hamdan Dagalo.

KHARTOUM MAY 27: Sources in the foreign ministry said the United Nations envoy to Sudan, Volker Perthes, will not be allowed back.The UN chief spokesman has previously expressed shock at the request that Volker Perthes should be replaced. It comes after the army called on reservists and retired soldiers to reenlist. The current ceasefire with the Rapid Support Forces expires on Monday.

General Abdel Fattah al-Burhan, the military leader of Sudan, reportedly requested in a letter that his envoy to Sudan be withdrawn, and UN Secretary General Antonio Guterres was “shocked,” according to his spokesperson. According to a written statement released by the UN on Friday, Stephane Dujarric, “The Secretary-General is proud of the work done by Volker Perthes and reaffirms his full confidence in his Special Representative.”

Burhan had written to Guterres requested that Perthes be removed from his post, Reuters earlier reported citing sources in the Sudanese presidency. Perthes has voiced strong concern over the conflict. In an address to the UN Security Council earlier this week, he criticized both leaders of Sudan’s warring parties and warned of “a growing ethnicization of the conflict.”

Speaking to the Security Council, Volker Perthes said that the responsibility for the fighting “rests with those who are waging it daily: the leadership of the two sides who share accountability for choosing to settle their unresolved conflict on the battlefield rather than at the table.”

The Two Men Who Derailed Sudan’s Revolution

Featured Image: Harald Dettenborn

Social Jobs